Monday, October 27, 2014

Mountain Momma

So much this place has taught me... 
So quickly my heart has grown deep roots in this mountain soil... 
So grateful for our time in West Virginia where...
State pride is defined,
Pepperoni Rolls are beloved,
Driveway grades are steep,
Ramps (and their odor) grow wild,
People feed on buckwheat for breakfast,
Where princesses, flower girls, jesters, and maids descend the hill while the whole state cheers,
Hunting is how Thanksgiving is spent,
And snow days are how January (and some of February) roll,
The place where Tudor's has ruined all other biscuits for me,
Corridor H is about jobs... and about time,
Dedication to sport starts young,
"Pedestrian friendly" is a true statement,
Accents are random,
Families are big,
Rivers have swings,
Motorcycles flock,
Skiing is a way of life,
Where CJ Maggie's serves giant beverages,
The Dairy Queen also has a King,
Snow falls are measured in feet,
Servant hearts serve lunch to those who serve our community,
Life is older than the trees, but younger than the mountains,
Strangers wave as they drive past,
Jamaica Jay's is the first sign that summer is near,
The night life is scarce,
The running community is deep,
The "Ultimate" games are open,
The volleyball courts are regularly occupied,
Where driving an hour or two just to wander a favorite store is common,
Holidays are still celebrated in school,
Highland dancers fling,
Gas is expensive,
Movies in theaters are cheap,
Bag pipes are learned,
Directions are given via landmarks instead of street names,
Blue and old gold are sported,
Mountains are hiked and biked,
Where my babies have grown,
My family has increased,
My husband has been ordained,
My heart has been healed,
My friendships have been forged,
My walls have come down,
Church has been defined,
My love forever will be,
And where country roads will always take me home...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment